Iran’s Foreign Minister says progress has been made in nuclear talks with the US.


Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi addresses a special session of the United Nations Conference on Disarmament as well as talks between the United States and Iran in Geneva, Switzerland, February 17, 2026. – Reuters
  • Araghchi says progress has been made on the main guiding principles.
  • Calls on the US to desist from threatening the use of force against Iran.
  • It is hoped that the talks will lead to a sustainable, negotiated solution.

GENEVA: Iran and the United States reached an understanding on main “guiding principles” in a second round of nuclear talks in Geneva on Tuesday, but there is still work to be done, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said.

Progress does not mean an agreement will be reached soon, but the path has begun, he told Iranian media after the talks concluded.

Iranian state media earlier reported that Iran would temporarily close part of the Strait of Hormuz, a vital global oil supply route, while it held talks on its nuclear program with the United States, which has sent a battle force to the Gulf region to pressure Tehran to make concessions.

US President Donald Trump has said “regime change” in Tehran may be the best thing that can happen, while Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said on Tuesday that any US attempt to overthrow his government would fail.

Just as talks began in Geneva, Iranian state media reported that parts of the strategic strait would be closed for a few hours due to “security precautions” while Iran’s elite Revolutionary Guard held military exercises there.

In the past, Tehran has threatened to close the strait to commercial shipping if it comes under attack, a move that would choke off a fifth of global oil flows and drive up crude prices.

In addition to Araghchi, US envoy Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner participated in the Geneva talks, mediated by Oman, according to a source familiar with the matter. Reuters.

Speaking at a disarmament conference in Geneva after talks between representatives of the United States and Iran were held in the western Swiss city earlier in the day, Araghchi said the United States should immediately desist from threatening the use of force against Iran.

He said any sustainable agreement must ensure full recognition of Iran’s legitimate rights.

Araghchi said: “A new window of opportunity has opened, we are hopeful that the negotiations will lead to a negotiated and sustainable solution.”

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *