- Tehran says it will defend itself against US action.
- Araghchi hopes for new talks between Iran and the United States in Geneva.
- Tehran prepares a draft agreement to avoid conflict.
PARIS: Iran’s top diplomat said Sunday that his country would counterattack U.S. interests in the Middle East in the event of an attack, although he still saw a chance for a diplomatic resolution.
Talking to an American broadcaster C.B.S.Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said he expected further talks on the details of a deal, “probably” on Thursday, as fears of a new conflict emerged after Washington carried out a major redeployment of military assets to the region.
U.S. threats of military action have multiplied since a nationwide protest movement unleashed a massive crackdown that human rights groups say killed thousands of people.
“If the United States attacks us, then we have every right to defend ourselves,” Araghchi said, alluding to American interests in the region as potential targets.
Still, he said, “there is a good chance of achieving a diplomatic solution.”
After a recent round of talks in Geneva, Iran said it was preparing a draft proposal for a deal that would avoid military action.
“I think that when we meet, probably this Thursday again in Geneva, we will be able to work on those elements and prepare a good text and reach an agreement quickly,” Araghchi said. C.B.S..
Axios had previously reported, citing an unnamed senior US official, that if Iran presented its proposal in the next 48 hours, Washington was willing to meet again later in the week “to begin detailed negotiations.”
The United States has sent two aircraft carriers to the Middle East in recent weeks, along with other aircraft and ships, and has also bolstered its air defenses in the region to back up its threats of military intervention.
U.S. President Donald Trump’s top Middle East negotiator, Steve Witkoff, said in a Saturday fox news In the interview, the president wondered why Iran had not yet bowed to US pressure.
“You’re curious why they haven’t… I don’t want to use the word ‘capitulated,’ but why haven’t they capitulated?” said.
“Why, under this pressure, with the amount of sea and naval power that is there, why haven’t they come to us and said, ‘We profess that we don’t want a weapon, so this is what we are prepared to do’?”
Western governments fear that Iran’s nuclear program is aimed at developing a bomb, something Tehran has long denied, although it insists on its right to enrich uranium for civilian purposes.
On the issue of enrichment, Araghchi said on Sunday: “As a sovereign country, we have every right to decide for ourselves, for ourselves.”
Fears of war
An earlier round of diplomacy last year was interrupted by Israel’s bombing campaign against the Islamic Republic.
That sparked a 12-day conflict in June that the United States briefly joined with attacks on nuclear facilities.
Despite recent Oman-brokered talks, Iranian fears of a new conflict have increased.
“I don’t sleep well at night, even when I take pills,” said Hamid, a Tehran resident. AFPsaying he was worried about “the health of his family… my children and grandchildren.”
Computer technician Mina Ahmadvand, 46, believes that “at this point, war between Iran and the United States, as well as between Israel, is inevitable and I have prepared for that eventuality.”
“I don’t want there to be war, but one should not waste time with the reality on the ground.”
The concerns have led several foreign countries to urge their citizens to leave Iran, including Sweden, Serbia, Poland and Australia, which warned that “commercial flights are currently available, but this could change quickly.”




