Garbage dumping in Leh continues unabated


Illegal practice reduces key drainage from 350 feet to nearly 50 feet before monsoon

The persistent dumping of construction material, garbage, soil and waste in Nullah Leh raises serious questions about the authorities’ ability to enforce restrictions imposed under Article 144. PHOTOS: EXPRESS

RAWALPINDI:

With the monsoon flood season approaching, relevant departments have so far failed to ensure removal of silt, garbage and construction materials from Nullah Leh and 15 stormwater drains flowing through the city.

Due to the negligence and alleged connivance of the authorities and police, heavy carts, trailers and trucks are continuously dumping tons of soil, debris and garbage at Nullah Leh, near the dangerous Ganjmandi Bridge, despite the official ban.

As a result, piles of soil, garbage and construction material have accumulated on both sides of the drain and the width of Nullah Leh, which once measured between 300 and 350 feet, has shrunk to nearly 50 feet, raising fears of devastating floods during this year’s monsoon.

The automatic flood warning system installed in Nullah Leh is also not functional and has not yet been restored. Under Article 144, it is prohibited to dump construction materials, garbage and waste in Nullah Leh and storm water drains. However, despite the ban, carts loaded with construction debris and urban waste continue to dump material into the drain near the historic Ganjmandi Bridge.

Every day, dozens of carts dump garbage, debris and waste material into Nullah Leh and other storm drains near Ganjmandi Bridge, Dhoke Ratta, City Saddar Road and Gawalmandi Bridge. Millions of rupees are subsequently sought to remove the same debris and waste material.

This year too, a total of Rs 150 million has been sought for desilting and cleaning of Nullah Leh and 15 storm sewers.

WASA requested Rs 80 million for Nullah Leh, while Rs 70 million was requested for 15 storm drains. The Punjab government had been asked to release the funds on an emergency basis, following which it was announced that desilting work would begin from May 1.

However, as of May 15, dumping of soil, construction debris and garbage continues at Nullah Leh near Ganjmandi Bridge, adjacent to Ganjmandi Police Station in the densely populated central area of ​​the city. Debris and debris are rapidly consuming the width of the drain, reducing it to nearly 50 feet, a situation that could lead to severe flooding during pre-monsoon and heavy monsoon rains.

Ganjmandi market traders and nearby residents have announced a protest rally on Friday against the situation.

Traders and residents Faiz Ahmed, Rashid Khan and Haji Banaras said tons of construction material and soil were being dumped in Nullah Leh despite the presence of a nearby police station and legal restrictions.

They said the flood season had already begun and it was time to clear the drain of sediment and rubbish, but instead piles of debris, waste soil and construction material had formed at various points in the drain.

They warned that poor planning, narrowing of the drainage and large encroachments along its banks had created serious flood risks this year.

They further allege that despite a court stay order, a two-storey market had been built on government land near Ganjmandi Bridge, while sewage lines were also being laid there and in adjacent shops, which could lead to another flood and further narrow the drainage.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *