Geneva: Angola’s cholera outbreak has killed more than 300 people since January, with thousands infected as the disease spreads rapidly in most of the country, the World Health Organization (WHO) warned.
The outbreak has now charged 329 lives, WHO said on Saturday, warning that the risk of greater transmission in the country and the surrounding areas was “very high.”
The African nation rich in resources has been experiencing an outbreak of substantial anger since January, with a total of 8,543 cases registered as of March 23. Angola fights with high poverty rates and poor sanitation despite its oil wealth.
WHO said the outbreak had quickly extended to 16 of the 21 provinces of Angola, affecting individuals from all age groups, with the largest burden among children under 20 years.
“The Ministry of Health, with the support of WHO and partners, is managing the response to cholera outbreak through cases detection, the deployment of fast -response equipment, the commitment of the community and a vaccination campaign,” said the UN Health Agency.
“Given the outbreak in rapid evolution, the current rainy season and the cross -border movement with neighboring countries, who evaluate the risk of greater transmission in Angola and surrounding areas as very high.”
Namibia, the neighbor of South Angola, registered his first case of cholera in almost a decade, said the health agency of the African Union earlier this month. The 55 -year -old woman recovered and was discharged from the hospital.
Cholera is an acute intestinal infection that spreads through food and water contaminated with the vibrio cholerae bacteria, often of stool.
Causes severe diarrhea, vomiting and muscle cramps.
Cholera can kill in a matter of hours when it is not treated, although it can be handled with simple oral rehydration and antibiotics for more severe cases.
There has been a global increase in cholera and its geographical propagation, since 2021.
Between January 1 and March 23 of this year, a total of 93,172 cases and 1,197 deaths in 24 countries were reported, with 60 percent of cases in Africa, WHO said.