
- “I think they want to meet,” says the president of the United States on Iran’s position.
- Trump believes that direct conversations are better, but they will press for indirect conversations.
- He gave the Iranians a two -month deadline to reach a new nuclear agreement.
Tehran will not participate in direct conversations with Washington “until there is a change in the focus on the other side to the Islamic Republic”
The president of the United States, Donald Trump, said Thursday that he wanted “direct talks” with Tehran in a nuclear agreement, after he threatened to bomb Iran if he develops nuclear weapons.
Trump has given Iran leaders a two -month deadline to reach an agreement on the country’s nuclear program, which has tensioned relations with Western nations for decades.
The western countries, including the United States, have long accused Iran of Pursuing a nuclear weapon, which Tehran has denied, insisting that their enrichment activities were only for peaceful purposes.
“I think it is better if we have direct talks,” journalists on board the presidential aircraft Air Force One told. “I think it is going faster, and you understand the other side much better than if you pass through intermediaries.”
Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said last week that Tehran would not participate in direct conversations with Washington “until there is a change in the focus on the other side towards the Islamic Republic.”
Trump in his first mandate broken down a 2015 nuclear agreement negotiated by the predecessor Barack Obama and reimpose paralyzing sanctions against Iran.
The agreement, sealed between Tehran and the world powers, had required that they will limit their nuclear ambitions in exchange for sanctions.
“They wanted to use intermediaries. I don’t think that is necessarily true,” Trump said.
“I think they are worried, I think they feel vulnerable. I don’t want them to feel that way,” he added. “I think they want to know.”
Trump said last month that he had written to the supreme leader of Iran Ayatolá Ali Khamenei to ask for nuclear negotiations and warn about possible military action if Tehran refused.
Trump gave the Iranians a two -month deadline to reach a new nuclear agreement.
In response, Tehran agreed only indirect negotiations. He has ruled out any direct conversation under an US policy of “maximum pressure”, according to The conversation.
Khamenei replied saying that US threats. “They will not take them anywhere” and warned about reciprocal measures “if they do something evil” against Iran.
Last week, Trump said “there will be bombing” of Iran if he does not eliminate his efforts to develop nuclear weapons. In recent days, American bombers and warships have been deployed in the region in a sample of force.