The second phase of aid to the displacement of Tirah begins


More than 30,900 families registered in the first phase and 1,978 receive Rs 250,000 each in the new tranche

The first phase of displacement of families from Maidan area of ​​Tirah in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa district has been completed and the second phase is underway, the district administration confirmed on Wednesday.

A statement from a district administration official said the process was structured in phases to ensure transparency in registration, verification and disbursement of financial assistance to the affected families.

“During the first phase, a total of 30,945 displaced families were registered from Maidan area in Tirah Valley. The families were also paid vehicle rental to facilitate safe relocation,” he said.

According to the official, the scrutiny and reverification of displaced families who emigrated after February 12 was carried out from that date until February 16. “The exercise was aimed at ensuring accurate data, transparency and fair distribution of relief funds,” the official said.

The second phase of the displacement began a day ago, in which financial support is also provided.

“So far, 1,978 families have received Rs 250,000 per family through mobile SIM card-based transfers, while payments to the rest of the affected families are being made in phases.”

The official said the displacement from the Maidan area continued from January 10 to February 11. In the second phase, special attention is being paid to timely disbursement of financial assistance and complete verification of deserving families.

Read: Asif rules out military operation in Tirah; terms displacement ‘routine’ seasonal migration

Large-scale displacement is occurring from the Tirah Valley, where authorities report that almost 95% of the evacuation process has been completed. More than 26,000 families have been registered in Bara as part of what officials describe as a major humanitarian and administrative operation in the border region.

Mian Iftikhar Hussain, president of the Awami National Party in KP, sharply criticized the provincial government over the plight of displaced families from the Tirah Valley, accusing it of administrative paralysis, insecurity and incompetence.

The evacuation has intensified in recent weeks amid security concerns in the rugged valley, prompting mass relocation and the establishment of multiple registration points. Authorities have introduced biometric verification to prevent fraud, while a verification committee is reviewing applications to exclude non-genuine applicants.

The crisis has also attracted political attention, with a national jirga endorsing agreements on registration and rehabilitation and affected groups raising concerns about cancellations, delays and the verification process.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *