- Trump will make the final decision on attacking Iran.
- The White House reported on the military buildup in the Middle East.
- Iran will present a written proposal to ease tensions with the United States.
The US military is ready to carry out possible attacks against Iran as soon as this weekend. cnn reported citing known sources, as Tehran and Russia announced new joint naval exercises in regional waters.
However, according to international media report, US President Donald Trump will make the final decision on whether to attack Iran or not.
The report comes amid Oman-brokered talks between the two countries in Geneva, in which the White House confirmed “small progress” but said distance remained on some issues. He added that Tehran was expected to return with more details in a couple of weeks.
The second round of negotiations was held on Tuesday, after last year’s talks collapsed following Israel’s attack on Iran in June, which sparked a 12-day war. The talks were aimed at avoiding the possibility of US military action, as Tehran demands the lifting of US sanctions.
Iran has insisted that discussions be limited to the nuclear issue, although Washington has previously pushed for Tehran’s ballistic missile program.
Trump has repeatedly threatened to intervene militarily against Iran, first over a deadly crackdown on protesters last month and then, more recently, over its nuclear program.
According to the cnn According to the report, the White House has been informed that the military could be ready for an attack as soon as the weekend, after sufficient air and naval assets have been built up in the Middle East.
Meanwhile, the media outlet cited another source and claimed that Trump has privately argued both for and against military action and has polled advisers and allies on the best course of action.
However, ReutersCiting an unnamed senior US official, he reported that senior US national security advisers met in the White House Situation Room on Wednesday to discuss Iran and were told that all US military forces deployed to the region should be deployed by mid-March, the official said.
‘Written proposal’
ReutersCiting a US official, he also reported that Tehran is expected to present a written proposal on how to resolve its standoff with the United States following US-Iran talks in Geneva.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio will meet with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Israel to discuss Iran on February 28, the official said.
Tuesday’s indirect talks in Geneva between US envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner, along with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi, were aimed at averting a growing crisis between the two countries.
Iran agreed to make a written proposal on how to address US concerns during the Geneva talks, the senior US official said. “We are currently expecting that from the Iranians,” the official said.
Trump has ordered a major military buildup in the region as he contemplates the use of force with a second aircraft carrier group on the way. “The president has ordered the continuation of the buildup in the region, including the arrival of the second carrier group. Full forces should be in place by mid-March,” the senior US official said.
‘Naval exercises’
Amid negotiations with the United States, Iran announced joint naval exercises with Russia in the Sea of Oman and the northern Indian Ocean on Thursday, Iran’s semi-official Fars news agency reported, a few days after the Revolutionary Guard held military exercises in the Strait of Hormuz.
“Creating convergence and coordination in joint measures to counter activities that threaten maritime security… as well as combating maritime terrorism, are among the main objectives of this joint exercise,” said an Iranian navy commander, Hassan Maghsoodloo, according to Fars News.
Additionally, Iran issued a notice to airmen (Notam) on Thursday that it plans to launch rockets in areas to its south, the US Federal Aviation Administration website showed.
The advisory was issued amid rising tensions with the United States, which has deployed warships near Iran, as US Vice President JD Vance said Washington was weighing whether to continue diplomatic engagement with Tehran or pursue other options.
The Notam system provides pilots, flight crews and other airspace users with critical safety advisories.
– With additional details from Reuters




