ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Tuesday took note of mismanagement and irregularities in the context of the men’s national hockey team’s tour of Australia for the FIH Pro League, the Pakistan Sports Board (PSB) confirmed.
The move followed videos on social media showing players in poor accommodation during their recent tour of Australia.
According to the PSB, the federal government launched a formal investigation into the matter and ordered authorities to determine those responsible for the alleged administrative lapses, adding that those found guilty would face strict action.
The PSB stated that the incident had been taken seriously at the highest level, and Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif ordered an immediate scrutiny of the arrangements made for the team competing in the FIH Pro League.
Furthermore, Prime Minister’s Advisor for Inter-Provincial Coordination Rana Sanaullah also ordered an investigation into alleged mismanagement by the Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF), stating that the administrative failures had not only affected the players but had also damaged the country’s sporting reputation.
“The mismanagement has not only affected the players but has also damaged the reputation of the sport and the country. Those responsible for bringing hockey into disrepute will not be forgiven under any circumstances,” Sanaullah said.
“We will ensure a transparent investigation and strict action against anyone found involved in administrative negligence. No one will be allowed to bring the game into disrepute.”
The issue came to light after videos circulated on social media showing domestic hockey players receiving poor accommodation during the Pro League match in Australia.
Sources said the players were busy packing their belongings before the 10:00 a.m. tee-off.
The PHF had initially paid for seven days’ accommodation in Hobart, but the team was housed more than an hour and a half outside the city in facilities described as minimal.
The players reportedly had to endure these conditions due to logistical problems during the tour.
With the help of the local community, the team management eventually secured alternative accommodation and meals.
While initial hotel reservations were canceled due to non-payment, rooms were subsequently booked through an online platform, albeit with four or five players sharing each room and reservations not covering the entire length of the stay.
The tour results added to the disappointment as the national team remained winless in the Australian leg of the FIH Pro League. Pakistan suffered defeats in all four matches, losing 3-2 and 3-0 to Australia, and 5-2 and 6-1 to Germany.
Looking ahead, Pakistan will face Belgium on June 13 and Spain on June 14, followed by rematches against Belgium and Spain on June 20.
The team will then face arch-rivals India on June 23 and England on June 24, with second matches against India and England scheduled for June 26 and 27, respectively.




