Afridi says peaceful movement is inevitable; force to register, take oath after Eid
KP CM Afridi speaking to the media outside the Supreme Court. PHOTO: X
Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Sohail Afridi on Wednesday announced the formation of the “Imran Khan Liberation Force” to campaign for the release of Imran Khan, saying a public movement had become “inevitable after persistent violations of judicial directives.”
“The Free Imran Khan Force will wage a completely peaceful struggle. After its release, Imran Khan himself will disband the force,” Afridi said while speaking to journalists outside Pakistan’s Supreme Court.
He said the membership cards would be ready within four to five days and the youth of Peshawar would take oath after Eidul Fitr. Responsibility for managing the protests and negotiations had been assigned to Senate Opposition Leader Raja Nasir Abbas and National Assembly Opposition Leader Mahmood Khan Achakzai, adding that Khan had delegated them the task of preparing a street movement.
Afridi said the force would include members of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf, Insaf Students Federation and the party’s women’s wing. It said it would formally register, operate under a clear chain of command and begin activities only after preparations were completed.
According to Afridi, the initiative aims to guarantee constitutional supremacy, strengthen democracy and safeguard independent media.
Read: TTAP ends Parliament protest, raises concern for Imran Khan’s health
Khan, 73, has been jailed since August 2023 after being convicted in several cases he said were politically motivated following his removal in a 2022 parliamentary vote. His party has stepped up calls for his release after a medical report submitted to court said his vision in his right eye had decreased to 15%, while the government maintains he is receiving the best care.
Separately, Abbas announced the end of a sit-in organized by the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Tahaffuz-e-Ayeen alliance outside parliament as Ramadan begins, saying the group would decide its next course of action.
He said the protest was organized to prevent what he called government negligence and unconstitutional actions, alleging that lawmakers had been effectively confined within the parliament premises and residences and that cases, including terrorism charges, had been filed against them while peaceful protests were obstructed.
Read more: SC adjourns Imran Khan’s Toshakhana, encryption and defamation cases indefinitely
On Khan’s health, Abbas said a medical report confirmed some improvement in his eyesight, but concerns remained and follow-up was needed. He said the condition had previously been critical and accused prison authorities of negligence, adding that legal action was being taken.
He also called for specialized treatment at Shifa International Hospital and demanded that family members and doctors, including Faisal Sultan, be allowed access. “Even a slight improvement makes us happy and we pray for his full recovery,” he said.




