Pakistan attacks seven terror camps along Afghan border after recent suicide attacks


Government says it urged Afghan Taliban to stop cross-border attacks, but no action was taken

A Pakistani soldier guards the border fence with Afghanistan. PHOTO:AFP/FILE

ISLAMABAD:

Pakistan carried out intelligence-based strikes against seven terror camps along the Pakistan-Afghanistan border following a series of recent suicide bombings, including an attack on an imambargah in Islamabad and incidents in Bajaur and Bannu.

In a statement issued early Sunday morning, the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting said Pakistan had “conclusive evidence” that the attacks were carried out by militants called “Khawarij”at the behest of their Afghanistan-based leaders.

“In the wake of recent incidents of suicide bombings in Pakistan, including that of Imam Bargah in Islamabad, one in Bajaur and another in Bannu, followed by another incident today in Bannu during the holy month of Ramadan, Pakistan has conclusive evidence that these acts of terrorism were carried out by Khawarij at the behest of their leaders and handlers based in Afghanistan,” the ministry said.

The statement added that responsibility for the attacks had been claimed by members of the Afghanistan-based Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), its affiliates and the Islamic State-Khorasan Province (ISKP).

Pakistan said it had repeatedly urged Afghanistan’s interim Taliban authorities to stop militant groups from using Afghan territory to launch cross-border attacks, but claimed no significant action had been taken.

“Despite Pakistan’s repeated efforts to urge the Afghan Taliban regime to take verifiable steps to deny the use of Afghan territory by terrorist groups and foreign proxies to carry out terrorist activities in Pakistan, the Afghan Taliban regime did not take any substantive action against them,” the ministry said.

The statement further said that it remained committed to regional peace but would prioritize internal security. “Pakistan has always strived to maintain peace and stability in the region, but at the same time the security of our citizens remains our top priority,” he said.

“In this context, Pakistan, in a repressive response, has carried out intelligence-based targeted attacks against seven terrorist camps and hideouts belonging to the Pakistani Taliban of FAK and its affiliates and ISKP in the border region of the Pakistan-Afghanistan border with precision and accuracy,” he added.

He further asked the interim government of Afghanistan to fulfill its responsibilities and prevent its territory from being used against Pakistan. “Pakistan hopes and reiterates that the interim Afghan government will fulfill its obligations and deny the use of its land to Khawarij and terrorists against Pakistan as the safety of the people of Pakistan comes first and foremost,” the ministry said.

He urged international stakeholders to pressure the Taliban authorities to fulfill their commitments under the Doha Agreement.

“Pakistan also hopes that the international community will play a positive and constructive role in urging the Taliban regime to fulfill its commitments as part of the Doha Agreement to deny the use of its land against other countries – a vital act for regional and global peace and security,” the statement concluded.



Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *