Pakistan condemns drone attack on UAE nuclear plant, calls it ‘serious violation’ of international law


It says that such reckless actions carry potentially catastrophic and irreversible consequences for human life.

Police officers stand guard at the main entrance gate of the Ministry of External Affairs in Islamabad on January 18, 2024. Photo: File

Pakistan on Monday condemned the drone attack on the Barakah nuclear power plant in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), saying that deliberately targeting nuclear facilities constitutes a serious violation of international law and such reckless actions carry potentially catastrophic and irreversible consequences for human life.

In a statement issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA), Pakistan said it “stands in full solidarity with the brotherly people and government of the UAE.”

“Any deliberate attack against nuclear facilities constitutes a serious violation of international law, the Charter of the United Nations and the fundamental principles of nuclear security enshrined in the Statute and resolutions of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA),” the statement added.

Furthermore, he stated: “Nuclear facilities should never be attacked under any circumstances,” noting that “such reckless actions carry potentially catastrophic and irreversible consequences for human life, the environment, and regional and global peace and security.”

The statement further said that the sanctity of civil nuclear infrastructure was a well-established international norm that must be respected without exception, adding that “Pakistan calls on all parties to exercise maximum restraint.”

“All parties must fulfill their obligations under international law and international humanitarian law and avoid actions that could exacerbate tensions with consequences that extend far beyond the region,” he added.

The ministry concluded by urging dialogue and diplomacy as “the only viable path towards lasting peace, stability and reduction of tensions in the region.”

Read: United Arab Emirates says it does not need protection from abroad and promises to defend its sovereignty

A day earlier, a drone hit an electrical generator outside the inner perimeter of the Barakah power plant, causing a fire. However, radiation safety levels were not affected and no injuries were reported.

The IAEA stated that emergency diesel generators supplied power to “unit 3” of the plant and called for “maximum military restraint near any nuclear power plant.” The agency also stated that it was closely monitoring the situation.

The attack came as progress appears to have stalled in efforts to end the US-Israel war against Iran and resume shipping in the Gulf region.

Emirati officials said after the attack that they were investigating the origin of the attack, reaffirming their right to respond to such “terrorist attacks.” The United Arab Emirates has previously accused Tehran of attacking its energy targets in what it has called an escalation of the conflict in the region.

Read more: Iran’s Araghchi warns UAE over Netanyahu meeting, says ‘collusion with Israel’ ‘unforgivable’

Since the United States and Israel launched a joint offensive against Iran on February 28, Tehran has repeatedly attacked the United Arab Emirates and other Gulf states that host American military bases, striking sites including civil and energy infrastructure.

This month, Iran stepped up attacks on the United Arab Emirates after US President Donald Trump announced a naval mission to try to open the Strait of Hormuz, which he called off after 48 hours.

The disruption of shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has caused the largest oil supply crisis in history, driving up energy prices. Meanwhile, the United States has imposed its own blockade of Iranian ports, further raising tensions in the region.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *