England World Cup squad update: Foden, Palmer, Maguire out; Toney, Madueke En


NEWNow you can listen to Pak Gazette articles!

Ahead of the official confirmation of the England squad on May 22, a series of high-profile omissions have shocked the English football landscape.

Manchester City playmaker Phil Foden, Chelsea star Cole Palmer, Nottingham Forest midfielder Morgan Gibbs-White, Manchester United left-back Luke Shaw and veteran defender Harry Maguire were left out of the final 26-man squad that traveled to the United States, Canada and Mexico.

By contrast, Arsenal winger Noni Madueke, Al-Ahli striker Ivan Toney, Manchester United player Kobbie Mainoo and Newcastle defender Tino Livramento have all secured their places in the final squad.

The final decision on the squad is approaching

Palmer’s exclusion surprises some after his outstanding performance during Euro 2024, where he scored in England’s 2-1 loss to Spain in the final.

Foden has contributed 10 goals and seven assists in 49 appearances in all competitions for City this season, but has struggled to match the form he had in previous seasons for club and country.

LONDON, ENGLAND – MARCH 31: Morgan Rogers, Phil Foden and Cole Palmer of England during the International Friendly match between England and Japan at Wembley Stadium on March 31, 2026 in London, England. (Photo by Charlotte Wilson/Offside/Offside via Getty Images)

Gibbs-White has been one of the few bright spots in an otherwise forgettable season for Nottingham Forest, racking up 14 goals and four assists in 36 appearances.

Toney’s last appearance for England was as a late substitute in a friendly defeat to Senegal in June 2025. He was not included during the most recent England camp in March.

Mainoo played in both of England’s friendlies in March, coming on as a substitute against Uruguay and starting against Japan, his first appearances for the national team since 2024.

Madueke, 24, has made 41 appearances for Premier League champions Arsenal but has not started their last three games following the return of Bukayo Saka from injury.

He also appeared as a substitute against Uruguay, before being one of eight players to withdraw before the second friendly against Japan.

Livramento made his England debut during the 2024 Nation League and has started the Three Lions’ last five matches.

Maguire ‘shocked and devastated’

Macguire confirmed in a social media post on Thursday that he is not part of Thomas Tuchel’s squad for the tournament in the United States, Canada and Mexico, and said he was “shocked and devastated” by the decision.

Tuchel will confirm his squad on Friday.

Maguire helped England reach the semi-finals of the 2018 World Cup and the final of Euro 2020. He was also in the England team that reached the quarter-finals of the last World Cup in Qatar. An injury left him out of Euro 2024.

“I was sure I could have played an important role this summer for my country after the season I had. The decision left me shocked and devastated. I wish the players all the best,” he said.

Maguire received his first call-up from Tuchel in March after helping revive United’s season following the departure of former manager Ruben Amorim. Before that, he had been excluded from the national team since September 2024.

Having been an integral part of former England manager Gareth Southgate’s team, Maguire has fallen behind the likes of Marc Guehi and Ezri Konsa in recent years.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *