NEWNow you can listen to Pak Gazette articles!
Jaxson Dart looks bigger and stronger than his rookie year in the NFL with the New York Giants. He insists it weighs the same.
“I’m not like Tim Tebow,” Dart said with a smile. “I’m not like that.”
Even built like a quarterback and not like Tebow, who became a tight end in the pros, Dart has made a concerted effort in recent months to put on muscle. That was evident when he took the field for the team’s first week of organized activities.
“I think I’m leaner and our strength staff has done an incredible job,” Dart said Thursday. “When you’re just coming into the league, there’s a little more resources that you have from a nutrition standpoint, coming up with a plan. I had a really good offseason and I’m happy that I got through last season healthy.”
Dart missed two games last season after suffering a concussion and, yes, the issue of him falling and sliding arose after new coach John Harbaugh, offensive coordinator Matt Nagy and quarterbacks coach Brian Callahan took over. The 23-year-old admitted earlier this week at a Giants fan event that he has to avoid some unnecessary hits in order to stay on the field.
The evidence of that adjustment won’t be clear until September, when games start counting. During offseason workouts, the goal is to build a good relationship with a handful of new pass catchers, including receiver Darnell Mooney and tight end Isaiah Likely.
Dart gathered players for informal workouts in California earlier this spring to begin that process.
“Those are some things you need to do,” Mooney said. “The more repetitions you have with Dart, the more familiar he becomes with you and the more connection you will have.”
Returning receivers Malik Nabers, who is recovering from a torn ACL in his right knee, and Darius Slayton were among the injured players who did not participate Thursday. Harbaugh said Slayton underwent surgery to repair a persistent sports hernia and expects the 29-year-old to be ready for training camp.
Nabers’ timeline is more confusing, and there’s no guarantee he’ll be ready for the start of the season.
“It’s probably the first time he’s been hurt like that, and my experience with guys is the first time they’ve had a serious injury, it’s tough,” Harbaugh said. “It’s difficult because it’s new for him. It’s a difficult process. Our job is to stay close to him and stay with him, and his job is to trust and work hard. He’s doing his job, and the trainers and doctors are doing their job and he’ll be back.”
Left tackle Andrew Thomas participated in drills Tuesday and Wednesday, Harbaugh said, while recovering from shoulder and foot injuries. Thomas said he and the coaches are handling the situation.
Giants sign general manager Joe Schoen to multi-year contract extension
The Giants announced Thursday night that they have signed general manager Joe Schoen to a multi-year contract extension, keeping him in position to work with Harbaugh for the foreseeable future.
The two have complemented each other since Harbaugh was hired in January, reporting directly to ownership. Extending Schoen’s deal is a sign that it wasn’t just talk, and comes after New York navigated defensive tackle Dexter Lawrence’s trade request and selected linebacker Arvell Reese and offensive lineman Francis “Sisi” Mauigoa with the Nos. 5 and 10 picks in the draft.
“Joe did a great job tonight, operating under pressure,” Harbaugh said after the first round last month. “He was obviously very well prepared, he just knew what he wanted to do and answered the different calls and communicated with everyone. I thought we had a really good operation. Joe leads the way on that and did a great job.”
Associated Press report




