The visit will include discussions on US-Iran talks, regional peace and stability.
Photo taken and provided by the Iranian Foreign Ministry on April 15, 2026 shows Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi (right) welcoming Army Chief Field Marshal Asim Munir upon his arrival at Tehran airport. Photo: AFP
Chief of Defense Forces and Chief of Army Staff Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir has left for an official visit to Iran, according to security sources.
Sources said the visit will include discussions on US-Iran talks, regional peace and stability, as well as other issues of mutual interest. During the visit, he is also expected to meet senior Iranian officials and key personalities, they added.
Meanwhile, a Qatari negotiating team also arrived in Tehran on Friday in coordination with the United States to help secure a deal to end the war and resolve outstanding issues, a source with knowledge of the matter told Reuters.
Read: Rubio says Pakistan remains ‘main interlocutor’ in US-Iran talks
Doha, which has worked as a mediator in the Gaza war and other areas of international tension, had until now distanced itself from playing a mediation role in the Iran war after being attacked by Iranian missiles and drones during the latest conflict.
“A Qatari negotiating team is in Tehran on Friday,” the source said, adding that the team had traveled in coordination with the United States and was there to help “reach a final agreement that would end the war and address outstanding issues with Iran.”
Qatar’s Foreign Ministry did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
While Pakistan has served as an official mediator since the fighting began, Qatar’s new commitment reflects its long-standing role as a U.S. ally in the region and a trusted backchannel between Washington and Tehran.
Last month, CDF Munir concluded a three-day visit to Iran, where he stressed the need for dialogue and reduction of tensions to achieve a peaceful resolution of the US-Iran conflict through diplomatic efforts, the military’s media wing said in a statement.
According to Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), Field Marshal Munir and Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi, along with a delegation, held meetings with the Iranian leadership.
“During the visit, the Field Marshal visited Iran’s President Masoud Pezeshkian and held separate meetings with National Assembly Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, and Khatam al-Anbiya Headquarters Commander Major General Ali Abdollahi,” he said.
فیلڈ مارشل سید عاصم منیر ایران کے سرکاری دورہ پر روانہ ہو گئے ، سیکیورٹی ذرائع
فیلت » سیکیورٹی ذرائع
دورے کے دوران فیلڈ مارشل سید عاصم منیر اہم اعلی ایرانی شخصیات… pic.twitter.com/3aBgFPSWUD
– PTV News (@PTVNewsOfficial) May 22, 2026
The ISPR said the discussions focused on fostering sustainable peace in the region, with special emphasis on the evolving security environment, ongoing diplomatic engagements and collaborative measures aimed at promoting long-term stability.
“The field marshal stressed the need for dialogue, de-escalation and peaceful resolution of outstanding issues through sustained diplomatic efforts,” the statement added.
According to the ISPR, during the visit, the field marshal expressed his deep gratitude for the warm hospitality extended by the Iranian leaders and the people of Iran. He also conveyed sincere greetings and best wishes from the President, Prime Minister and people of Pakistan to the Iranian leaders, reaffirming Pakistan’s desire to further strengthen the historic and brotherly ties between the two countries.
“The visit reflects Pakistan’s unwavering determination to facilitate a negotiated solution to the Middle East conflict and promote peace, stability and prosperity in the region,” the statement said.
Delighted to welcome Field Marshal Munir to Iran.
He expressed gratitude for Pakistan’s gracious hosting of the dialogue, emphasizing that it reflects our deep and excellent bilateral relationship. Our commitment to promoting peace and stability in the region remains strong and shared. pic.twitter.com/e74lm6hL8r
— Seyed Abbas Araghchi (@araghchi) April 15, 2026
Araghchi said he was “delighted” to host the quarterback on his visit. “I expressed my gratitude for Pakistan’s gracious hosting of the dialogue, emphasizing that it reflects our deep and excellent bilateral relationship. Our commitment to promoting peace and stability in the region remains strong and shared.”
US President Donald Trump had extended the ceasefire with Iran at the request of Field Marshal Munir and Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, saying it would remain in place until the Islamic Republic’s proposal was submitted. In a post on Truth Social, Trump said the decision was made in the context of the situation in Iran and at the request of Pakistani leaders.
“Based on the fact that the government of Iran is severely fractured, as expected, and at the request of Field Marshal Asim Munir and Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif of Pakistan, we have been asked to suspend our attack on the country of Iran until its leaders and representatives can present a unified proposal,” he said.
He added that he had ordered the US military to maintain its readiness as the blockade continued.
“Therefore, I have ordered our military to continue the blockade and, in all other respects, remain ready and capable, and therefore I will extend the ceasefire until your proposal is presented and the discussions are concluded, one way or another,” Trump said.
On my personal behalf and on behalf of Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir, I sincerely thank President Trump for graciously accepting our request to extend the ceasefire to allow ongoing diplomatic efforts to take their course.
With the trust placed in Pakistan…
– Shehbaz Sharif (@CMShehbaz) April 21, 2026
PM Shehbaz responded to Trump in a post on X and thanked him.
“On my personal behalf and on behalf of Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir, I sincerely thank President Trump for graciously accepting our request to extend the ceasefire to allow ongoing diplomatic efforts to take their course.
“With the trust reposed in us, Pakistan will continue its earnest efforts to achieve a negotiated solution to the conflict.
“I sincerely hope that both sides will continue to respect the ceasefire and can conclude a comprehensive ‘peace agreement’ during the second round of talks scheduled in Islamabad for a permanent end to the conflict,” he said.




