Kyle Busch’s last text to NASCAR CEO revealed two days before his death


NEWNow you can listen to Pak Gazette articles!

Kyle Busch texted NASCAR CEO Steve O’Donnell on Tuesday with a specific request, just 24 hours before collapsing in a Chevrolet simulator.

Busch, 41, died Thursday in a major blow to the racing world. While the cause of death has not yet been released, the 911 call from the Cabarrus County Sheriff’s Office, obtained by Pak Gazette and OutKick, painted a grim picture.

The two-time champion was on the bathroom floor coughing up blood and having trouble breathing, an unidentified man said by phone. Busch was alert.

KYLE BUSCH ON ‘Dating SEAN HANNITY’

He was then taken to a Charlotte hospital and died a day later.

Kyle Busch, driver of the No. 7 HendrickCars.com Chevrolet, is introduced before the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series SpeedyCash.com 250 at Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth, Texas, on May 1, 2026. (James Gilbert/Getty Images)

O’Donnell, who was named NASCAR CEO in April, received a text message from Busch a day before all of this happened, he revealed during a press conference on Friday.

The context of the text? The Truck series, of course.

“What I remember is a text from Kyle on Tuesday, as only Kyle could do, and I keep looking at him, and he said, ‘Hey man, what do you think of an over-40 rule to be able to compete in all the Truck Series races next year?’

“I said, you know, we implemented that rule because you were winning a lot, but when we looked at it and had an internal meeting on Wednesday, we thought, damn, that’s really good. We need Kyle in the Truck Series. It was twofold. I knew he could help the series, but I think one day he had a dream of competing against his son in a national series event.

KYLE BUSCH’S 911 CALL REVEALS THE DRIVER WAS COUGHING BLOOD AND STRUGGLING TO BREATH ON THE BATHROOM FLOOR

“That was Kyle, always thinking about the sport and moving forward.”

Busch was a two-time Cup champion and future Hall of Famer. He had been in the Cup Series since 2004, making 762 career starts with 63 wins. Busch won the championship in 2015 and 2019 and had 234 wins across NASCAR’s three national series.

He is the all-time record holder for wins in both the NASCAR O’Reilly Auto Parts Series (102) and the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series (69).

NASCAR Cup Series driver Kyle Busch and his wife Samantha stand before the start of the 1000Bulbs.com 500 at Talladega Superspeedway in Talladega, Alabama on October 14, 2018. (Jasen Vinlove/USA TODAY Sports)

His last NASCAR victory came at Dover in the Truck Series eight days ago. He led 147 laps in what turned out to be a classic Busch performance.

“You never know when it will be the last one,” he said after the victory.

NASCAR, THE RACING WORLD REACTS TO THE SHOCKING DEATH OF KYLE BUSCH AT AGE 41: ‘I CAN’T UNDERSTAND THIS NEWS’

The rule O’Donnell was referring to is unofficially known as the “Kyle Busch Rule.” It was first implemented in 2017 and limits the number of truck races a NASCAR Cup Series driver with three or more years of experience can run in a season (eight).

Busch was dominant at all levels of racing. Winning both championships with Joe Gibbs Racing and finishing with 63 Cup wins. But his pure dominance of the Truck Series will certainly be one of the things he will be remembered most for.

Kyle Busch celebrates in Victory Lane after winning a NASCAR Cup Series race at Talladega Superspeedway in Talladega, Alabama, on April 23, 2023. (Butch Dill/AP)

So a simple, random text to Steve O’Donnell about it makes sense. Busch loved to compete. He loved to win. He loved to dominate.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE Pak Gazette APP

As O’Donnell said, he loved the sport and was always thinking of ways to further it.

In a way, it was the perfect final text.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *