The association cites massive losses from burned trucks and forced bribes; requires investigation
Trucks carrying Afghan nationals, who were expelled from Pakistan, are parked as refugees wait for registration at the Omari refugee camp in Mohmand Dara, Torkham border, Nangarhar province, Afghanistan, April 15, 2025. Photo: Reuters
The Balochistan Goods Truck Owners Association on Tuesday announced that it would suspend loading and transportation of chromite, marble and other minerals across the province, citing repeated attacks on vehicles, lack of security and widespread extortion by various elements.
Addressing a press conference at Quetta Press Club, association president Haji Noor Muhammad Shahwani said transporters suffered losses worth millions of rupees due to burning of trucks and bursting of tyres. He warned that any truck owner or company that loads minerals will be solely responsible for any profit or loss.
“From today onwards, no truck will carry chromite or marble from Dalbandin, Nokkundi, Muslim Bagh or Loralai,” Shahwani stated. However, the loading of food and other general goods will continue as normal.
Read: Gwadar port rates slashed
He said attacks had been taking place for a long time on national highways. Recent incidents were reported from areas like Mastung, Khad Kocha, Armagai in Kharan district, Washuk and Khuzdar where nearly a dozen trucks were attacked. Eight trucks were set on fire and the rest suffered tire damage.
Shahwani complained that neither the mine contractors and owners nor the provincial government had provided any support or compensation to the affected transporters, making transportation of minerals an unbearable ordeal.
He further alleged that no road in Balochistan was safe. The looting took place in broad daylight and at gunpoint, and money was forcibly taken from trucks and buses. At several check posts, including Rukshan, Barori, Barija in Jhal Magsi district, Rakhni and Dana Sar, the staff allegedly forced parked food trucks to deliver diesel.
The association chief also pointed out the “humiliating” behavior of the officer of Sakran police station at Hub Chowki towards the transporters. He claimed that trucks and trailers heading from Balochistan to Karachi were regularly subject to extortion.
Despite directives issued by the prime minister to end the culture of extortion by the police and other departments and remove illegal checkpoints, the practice continued unabated, he added.
Shahwani also raised the issue of the recent fire at the Lakpass customs warehouse, in which transporters’ vehicles worth billions of rupees were destroyed. He demanded formation of a high-level inquiry committee under the supervision of the Balochistan High Court to investigate the incident and take action against those responsible.




