UEFA plans to renew the qualifying group formats for the 2030 World Cup and Euro 2032

NEWNow you can listen to Pak Gazette articles!

UEFA has proposed a renewal of the qualification for the 2030 World Cup and the 2032 Euro Cup that could put an end to the imbalances between the strongest and weakest teams, with a format similar to the Champions League.

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin revealed last year that a reform was planned to revive interest from fans and broadcasters because many traditional men’s qualifying groups had become predictable.

Recent lopsided results that sparked concern included France’s 14-0 win over Gibraltar in a Euro 2024 qualifier, and Austria’s 10-0 win over San Marino last year in a 2026 World Cup qualifier.

On Wednesday, UEFA proposed creating a higher tier with the 36 highest-ranked teams playing in three groups of 12 with a format similar to the Champions League.

Teams in those groups would each play six matches against six different opponents and qualify in a 12-team league table. Teams would be selected from three different qualifying pots, playing a weighted schedule of two teams from each pot.

Such a format could fit into the existing schedules set by FIFA from September to November and would not add additional games to the players’ workload.

The top 36 teams would not play against teams ranked 37th to 55th by UEFA, who could play matches at a separate level and also have a path from the playoffs to qualifying for the major tournaments.

A decision on the proposed renewal is expected in September, UEFA said after an executive committee meeting on the sidelines of the Europa League final in Istanbul, Turkey.

“The concept will be refined over the coming months before being presented for final approval of the detailed format at the next Executive Committee meeting,” UEFA said.

UEFA did not specify how many direct qualification places would be obtained from each group of 12 teams.

The 2030 World Cup, co-hosted primarily by Spain, Portugal and Morocco (with three opening matches in South America), is expected to be a 48-team tournament. Europe should get 16 qualifying places.

South American soccer body CONMEBOL has asked FIFA to consider expanding to 64 teams.

Information from The Associated Press.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *