US Airports Step Up Ebola Checks Amid Africa Outbreak
Health officials at U.S. airports are implementing enhanced Ebola screening for travelers arriving from Congo, Uganda and South Sudan. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) is working with airlines to identify possible exposures following more than 130 deaths and nearly 600 suspected cases in Africa. Secretary of State Marco Rubio has criticized the response efforts of the CDC and the World Health Organization (WHO).
NEWNow you can listen to Pak Gazette articles!
Congo is grappling with an Ebola outbreak, and White House World Cup Task Force Executive Director Andrew Giuliani said the Congolese national soccer team must isolate if it wants to enter the United States for the world tournament.
The United States has told FIFA, the Congolese government and the national soccer team that they must isolate for 21 days in order to enter the country for the World Cup. The team is currently training in Belgium and is scheduled to play two warm-up matches there.
“We have made it very clear to Congo that they must maintain the integrity of their bubble for 21 days before they can come to Houston on June 11,” Giuliani told ESPN. “We have also made it very clear to the Congolese government that they need to maintain that bubble or risk not being able to travel to the United States. We couldn’t be clearer.”
CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON PakGazette.Com
Congo’s Meschack Elia reacts during the 2026 FIFA World Cup play-off final match between the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Jamaica at the Guadalajara Stadium in Zapopan, Mexico, on March 31, 2026. (Agustín Cuevas/Getty Images)
“We want to make sure there’s nothing coming in or approaching our borders here about this,” he said.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has been monitoring two American doctors who were quarantined in Europe after being exposed to Ebola, Giuliani said. He said they have discussed sending personnel to Belgium to monitor the Congo team.
An outbreak of Bundibugyo, a rare type of Ebola, was confirmed last week in the Congo. It is believed to have killed more than 130 people and there are almost 600 suspected cases.
ZERO BS. ONLY DAKICH. TAKE THE DON’T @ ME PODCAST ON THE ROAD. DOWNLOAD NOW!

Lens defender Arthur Masuaku in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Malian midfielder Amadou Haidara attend a training session at the Stade de France stadium in Saint-Denis on May 21, 2026, ahead of the French Cup final against Nice on May 22, 2026. (Franck Fife/AFP)
“If there are other people who are going to come, they need to have a bubble separate from that team. If they end up coming, and any of those people end up symptomatic, they are risking the entire team being able to come and compete in this World Cup,” Giuliani said.
The CDC announced this week that all foreigners who had been to Congo, Uganda and South Sudan in the past three weeks would be banned from entering the United States for 30 days.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE Pak Gazette APP

Renaldo Cephas of Jamaica and Brian Cipenga of Congo compete for the ball during the 2026 FIFA World Cup play-off final at the Guadalajara Stadium in Zapopan, Mexico, on March 31, 2026. (Agustín Cuevas/Getty Images)
Congo on Wednesday canceled a planned team farewell to fans and a three-day World Cup preparation camp.
Congo is in Group K and is scheduled to play Portugal in its first match in Houston on June 17. Their next two games will be against Colombia in Guadalajara, Mexico, on June 23, and Uzbekistan in Atlanta on June 27.




