ISLAMABAD:
A gang allegedly involved in stealing sensitive data of prominent Pakistani people and selling it to foreign agencies has been arrested, National Cyber Crime Investigation Agency (NCCIA) Director General Syed Khurram Ali said on Friday.
Addressing a press conference in Islamabad, the Director General said that the NCCIA arrested the group in South Punjab.
“Four individuals belonging to the same family have been arrested so far. They were involved in selling personal data of important personalities for a few thousand rupees,” he said.
Ali revealed that the investigations discovered the participation of people from various institutions who allegedly provided information that allowed data leaks.
He said there is a zero-tolerance policy against data leakage and sale of personal information, adding that all institutions are being informed to take strict action against those involved.
“The personal data of our citizens is provided to foreign agencies,” he said.
Responding to questions from journalists, he said that the Momina Iqbal case is being handled by the Lahore office and the statements of both parties are being recorded. He expressed hope that the case would be concluded in a couple of days.
He added that cases involving women are a top priority for the NCCIA and emphasized that the agency does not discriminate between rich and poor.
He also warned that action would be taken against anyone who spoke against the state, noting that some people had been arrested for suggesting that Swat should become part of Afghanistan.
“If the NCCIA does not act against those who do not trust the State of Pakistan, who will?” said. The CEO further revealed that the agency currently has 480 employees across the country and is working to improve its internal capacity.
In October 2024, a report revealed that private data of Pakistani citizens (from federal ministers and senior government officials to ordinary people) was available for sale on various websites without any action being taken by any government authority.
The issue was highlighted again in September last year. This time Home Minister Mohsin Naqvi took notice and ordered the NCCIA to conduct an investigation.
According to the report, there were dozens of websites online where citizen data was openly sold, with fixed rates. On those platforms, mobile phone location was available for Rs 500, mobile data log details for Rs 3,500 and foreign travel details for Rs 5,000.
They also offered information linked to an International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) number for Rs 25,000, while color copies of citizens’ Computerized National Identity Cards (CNICs) were also sold on these sites.
The report highlighted that criminal groups could use this data for financial fraud, deception and harm to people. In some cases, people may not even know that their identity document has been misused (for example, in bail bond proceedings or in fraudulent property transactions).




